This blog is intended to be a way for me to take notice of the great things in life and to share those great things.

Friday, February 4, 2011

Bring on the Buddha


I read recently that "research suggests that mindfulness therapy - a meditation-based treatment with roots in Buddhism and yoga - can help people with mood disorders feel better without drugs." *find link to article below

When our family lived in San Antonio for 11 months, we attended the Shambhala Center and learned a bit about Buddhism and meditation. I am grateful to have learned about mindfulness and how meditation is a time to be still with our thoughts, not try to banish or change them, just to be still with them. It did make a difference to me.

I also loved watching Sophie and the other students in the children's meditation class. They did things like meditation by blowing bubbles. Soph was quite adept at the meditation practices and has always been the calm compared to my storm.

I do not think every person with a mood disorder will be, or should be, medication free after practicing mindfulness and meditation, but I do believe it improves the quality of one's life. Meditating, mindfulness, most of the teachings of the Buddha, all make me happy - not always deliriously so, but in a satisfied way.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan/08/health/la-he-mindfulness-20110109

No comments:

Post a Comment